Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Birthday Cake confiscated, 3 arrested; Wong remanded for 3 days; Prayers for Perak without Mat Sabu: 1MALAYSIA BOLEH!

Courtesy of, 6 May 2009

Three activists were arrested this morning for attempting to deliver a cake commemorating the 31st birthday of Altantuya Shaariibuu to the Prime Ministers Office in Putrajaya. [From Malaysiakini]

WALSKI: Butter Cake To Be Charged With Sedition

Malaysiakini | May 6, 09 10:44am

The police today succeeded in extending the remand order for polls reform group Bersih spokesperson Wong Chin Huat to three days. He is now expected to be released late on May 8.

Kuala Lumpur magistrate Naziah Alias had originally granted a one-day remand order this morning but the police went to the court again to seek an extension.

And this evening at 6pm, they got their wish - the remand is now for three days.

The police had originally asked for a four-day remand order.

Earlier this afternoon, Wong's lawyers Latheefa Koya and Amer Hamzah Arshad told journalists that they would press for his release today after Naziah's granting of a one-day remand.

“The court upon deliberating and hearing arguments from both sides, has decided to grant a one-day remand and he should be released by this evening,” said Amer.

“We will liaise with the IO (investigating officer) and secure his release as soon as possible.”

Latheefa said she hoped that Wong would be released by 6pm.

“(But) they (the police) can always ask for an extension - that means they will have to file another application.”

Wong in handcuffs and lock-up uniform

Earlier today, Wong was brought to the court complex in handcuffs and dressed in the compulsory orange police lock-up uniform.

The Kampar-born Wong had been wearing black for the past 80 days to mourn the "death of democracy" in Perak, his home state.

His family members and DAP leader Lim Kit Siang managed to see Wong in the court lock-up.

They said that he appeared in good spirits and urged his supporters to wear black as well.

They also said Wong had told them that the police have not recorded any statement from him.

He was arrested at 8pm yesterday under the Sedition Act at his home in Taman Sri Sentosa in Kuala Lumpur and then taken to the Commercial Crimes Investigation Department (CCID) headquarters for questioning.

He was later whisked away to an undisclosed location about 12.18am. His whereabouts were kept secret.

CCID chief Koh Hong Sun yesterday said that Wong was being investigated under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act.

If found guilty, he could face a jail term of up to three years.

Wong's arrest was linked Bersih's campaign - dubbed as 1BlackMalaysia - for the public to wear black tomorrow to protest the Perak government takeover by Barisan Nasional.

Wong had issued the call yesterday on behalf of Bersih, the Coalition for Free and Clean Elections.

Poll reform group Bersih spokesperson Wong Chin Huat was arrested under the Sedition Act tonight (5 May 2009) by a team of police officers at his home in Taman Sri Sentosa in Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysiakini | May 6, 09 4:21pm

PAS vice-president Mohamad Sabu was arrested by the police at about 3pm today near the Harakah office in Jalan Pahang Barat, Kuala Lumpur.

It is believed that he was arrested over his plan to hold mass prayers tomorrow in Manjoi, Ipoh, over the Perak state assembly sitting.

The Masjid Al-Ittihadiyah, where the prayer session will be held at 5am, is about two kilometres from the assembly building.

The prayer session is expected to draw a large number to oppose the Barisan Nasional's power grab in the state.

Mohamad was arrested by about 10 plainclothes policemen just as he was leaving a restaurant to go to the Harakah office.

PAS Youth chief Salahuddin Ayub was with him when he was arrested.

Salahuddin told Malaysiakini that he heard Mohamad shouting that he was being arrested just as he left the restaurant.

He and another PAS member immediately rushed back to try and free him. A scuffle took place.

Salahuddin also said the police did not show any arrest warrant when they nabbed Mohamad. It is learnt that he has been taken to the Sentul police station.

"They also did not identify themselves. They just arrested him and took him away," he said.

He said he has informed PAS lawyer Hanipa Maidin about this.

Salahuddin also did not rule out the possibility that the police action could be an attempt to stop Mohamad's prayer session.

To be sent to Perak on remand

Mohamad's arrest comes just 24 hours after the arrest of activist Wong Chin Huat last night for urging the public to wear black tomorrow to protest against what is happening in Perak.

Wong, arrested last night for alleged sedition at his house in Taman Seri Sentosa, Kuala Lumpur, was taken to court today where a one-day remand order was issued.

Mohamad's wife Normah Alwi told Malaysiakini that a police officer informed her this afternoon that her husband will be sent to Slim River in Perak on remand.

"The event has not even taken place yet, why the arrest?" asked an outraged Normah.

It is believed that a police report was lodged against Mohamad in Slim River.


Bye bye, Barisan Najis!